Moroccan take-away in London

OK, the following may make you sick. So don't say I didn't warn you.

Today, on my home from work, I decided to buy Moroccan food from a Moroccan/North African take-away.
I was too lazy to cook and I desperately needed some nice, sweet Moroccan dish.
A friend, who is Iranian, gave me the address and phone-number of a Moroccan cafe/restaurant.
So I went and ordered some food. The menu looked normal, tajine, couscous, roasted chicken with almonds, briouat etc. etc.
There was only 1 dish that I never heard of before and that was traditional Moroccan rice with mushrooms....

And because I'm always adventurous, and like to go where no moron has gone before, I decided to order the rice dish and some chicken-briouat and kefta-briouat.
It was all wrapped up beautifully and I thought it smelled nice. And then I came home and sat down to eat it......


Here is how it looked like:



The briouat were disgusting. I didn't taste the chicken, I did see it but I couldn't taste it. The spices definitely didn't taste Moroccan.
The kefta-briouat (the square ones) were even more disgusting. It was all dry and flavourless.
But still, you could consider the briouats as Moroccan.

But the "rice"-dish! First of all, it wasn't rice! It was risotto! And the mushrooms were like those cheap mushrooms from the supermarket. The only spices used were salt and pepper! Seriously....
A close-up of the "rice"-dish



Do I need to say more? Does it even look Moroccan?
And this is supposed to be prepared by Moroccans.
I did eat it though, I mean I paid for it.

The funny thing is, there is another Moroccan take-away in Camden-market. Owned and managed by Malaysians and their Moroccan food was delicious!
Malaysians are the new Moroccans.

4 Comments:

  1. xoussef said...
    you need baraka in your hands to cook good moroccan food, you don't have to be moroccan for that. take me for example, i even succeed to make Atay look (and taste) poisonous...
    Anonymous said...
    eeew sounds and looks disgusting. I admire your guts though BO, I mean come on, you should have known mushrooms and Moroccan food don't exactly go together.LOL
    BTW do you know how we call mushrooms in Berber?
    BO18 said...
    @ Xoussef

    Baraka? Do I have baraka because my couscous and beghrir are the best!:P

    @ Myrtus and Tsedek

    I honestly eat everything. My nickname here is the human waste-bin. When somebody gets disgusted by his/hers own food, I proudly volunteer to eat it!

    But how do you call mushrooms in Berber?
    Anonymous said...
    We call them "dog farts". :D

Post a Comment